Friday, April 1, 2011

On Dead Poets Society and writing Chapter 18

My relationship to Dead Poets Society is exactly what I attributed to Joe. I never cared for the movie. But I get restless late at night, and end up watching a lot of HBO, even when I'm trying to work on this project.

Dead Poets Society happened to be airing. It was probably ten years since I'd seen it. What struck me right away is that the Robert Sean Leonard seemed very plausibly gay, for all of the reasons that I put in the story. By the end, it seemed blazingly obviously, and the only coherent explanation for the movie.

It also hit me that this seemed like a movie that a person like Chris Riis would love. Chapter 18 was extremely difficult to construct. There were plenty of scenes that I'd been working through my head for at least a year -- Matt's embarrassing speech performance, Joe's walking away, the ensuing fallout, the farewell e-mail and Joe's reaction. The party with Kevin Berger: that actually was going to be its own chapter. At various points, I thought about constructing it like The Hangover, and for most the planning, I thought that Joe and Kevin would hook up. But that no longer seemed consistent with the characters' motivations, and you might have noticed that this story is a little protracted, so another long party sequence at this point in the story probably wouldn't have been a good use of our resources.

But for having mapped all of this out, writing it in a way that built tension, and where the characters' emotional peaks and valleys felt credible, was very, very difficult. I found myself omitting information and buildup because it was unwittingly taking the characters too far. As articulate as Joe and Matt are, they're not going to be at ease in confronting and talking about their emotions for each other. Trying to pull that off: extremely difficult.

I'd had in mind that I was going to alternate passages about The Divine Comedy with Joe's narrative, and then Dead Poets Society clicked. Poetry became the chapter's unifying thread. When I finally had a finished draft, I was watching James Franco's Howl, and threw in an Allen Ginsberg line. Did anyone catch it? Then it hit me: What I should have done is bury all kinds of lines by gay poets -- Michelangelo, Whitman, Frank O'Hara, Ginsberg, Auden -- throughout the chapter. If I weren't writing this in a serial format, I could have moved on to the next chapter, and over the course of months, tracked down and inserted suitable lines. Having waited so long to post a new chapter, though, a plan like that seemed self-indulgent.

I've floated my Dead Poets Society observation to a couple of friends (both gay) who immediately dismissed it. I'm going to guess that's only because they haven't watched it as adults. Here's a wonderful write-up on the theory, which goes beyond the movie to touch on how we're haunted and affected by the formative movies of our adolescence. I didn't grow up with that kind of connection to the movie, but I have something like it now.

14 comments:

  1. See, I remember watching "Dead Poet's Society" in my sixth grade English class (first year of middle school) and immediately connecting with RSL's character as a conflicted, closeted gay high schooler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, sir, must have been a much more perceptive and self-aware sixth grader than I was.

    I'm convinced that this should be the standard interpretation of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always pretty much assumed this was the case. I'm a bit surprised there are others who don't think that way. In any event, JPM, thanks for the exegesis on chapter 18 - it was thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that you pulled DPS into the storyline and observed the same things I had when I first watched the movie in high school. I think watching it during those years, while being a closeted gay, is why I actually do like the movie. If I wasn't or hadn't I probably wouldn't. Thanks for another great chapter JPM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic chapter as I've come to expect
    btw, I've always thought Matt Damon's character in The Departed was a closeted gay(/bisexual?), too. I've never heard (or seen) anyone else saying anything to that effect before, but I'm nearly convinced of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I should watch The Departed again.

    Sounds like I was a little clueless in my previous viewings of Dead Poets!

    Also, not to bury the news, but Chapter 19 should be up by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh JPM that's the best news I've heard all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, JPM, that ROCKS! Yay!

    So much I wanna find out, about the shirt/hoodie thing... The summer, etc.

    Thanks, can't wait to read it!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! + Bury away, it makes me feel rewarded for checking obsessively. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember watching Dead Poets Society in my high school junior English class (American Lit.) and as a class we came to the conclusion that the Robert Sean Leonard character was gay. I thought it was obvious to anyone who watched the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is brilliant! No more modest word will do. The complexity and subtlety of psychological insight, the emotional richness (often quiet but never far away), the absolute believability of these characters and their world -- all of these virtues add up to one of the finest stories I've ever read about the college world and the particularities of a young gay man making his way in it. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely. What's more, Joe's realizations about *Dead Poets Society* through his forced exposure to it because of his relationship with Chris is, in my opinion, a pivotal twist in this chapter that intensifies the author's "complexity and subtlety of psychological insight."

      Delete
  12. I agree that it was my first reading of the movie, too, but I was pretty preoccupied with my closet and aware of the discourse I used to construct it, so his blowup with his father looked to me like a pretty bombastic representation of the flimsiness of my own construct. I probably didn't have those words for it because I was in high school, but I sure knew what his character felt. Wasn't there a desk planner or something? It's been a lot of years. I think I cried.

    - Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am reading this through for probably the third time, which happens each time you go three years between chapters :( so I see things that I missed the first couple of times around. (I don't even know if you see comments on old chapters, but here it is anyway). First I see, well especially in the chapter narrated by Chris, but later as well, that Chris is on the spectrum somewhere. No other way to interpret how clueless he is about the emotions of others, what the behavior of others means, what his own behavior means. And his closeted sexuality is only the tip of the iceberg, even if it's a pretty big tip (oh, sorry to get Freudian here...). And I also see how merciless, how deeply judgmental Joe is about his own past self, maybe beyond what is reasonable, even given that he has made some monumental mistakes in judgment, behavior and understanding. He needs to forgive himself just a little more, I would say. So all this is after chapter 18, and maybe later chapters will temper these judgments, but it's how it looks to me right now. Can a story get better each time you re-read it? Maybe it can ... but there has to be some limit to that, as the number of re-readings gets larger. Just a hint.

    CLS

    ReplyDelete