Monday, July 8, 2013

Chapter 25 preview (updated x3)

Chapter 25 will be massive.  I was expecting a range of 15,000-20,000 words, but the section I intended as the set-up for the main story arc already clocks at 6,000 words -- about three times longer than I planned.  That would be enough for a stand-alone chapter, and I thought about posting it that way, but the whole thing ties together thematically, so I'm sticking to my original concept.

In the meantime, here's a small preview.  It won't spoil you on the main arc of the chapter, if you're worried about that kind of thing.  I picked it mainly because it's fairly self-contained, so don't infer too much about which characters show up and how the rest unfolds.  If this goes over well, I might do similar posts in the future, depending on timing and what I'm writing.

Update, 8/18: This chapter is huge. The length of a short novel. Some of the things you've probably been wanting for a long time kind of, sort of happen.  I think every character either appears or is name-checked, but it takes place in its own kind of bubble and is close to being a stand-alone story, the way Chapter 16 was. Is it bloated? Too shaggy? Kind of epic? I'll let you guys decide soon, almost definitely by the end of the month.  Very excited to finish it.

Update, 8/29:  Well, I spoke too soon. Had a night to myself last night for the first time in 10 days, so the new chapter won't post in August. Soon, though. Sorry for the false optimism.

Update, 9/4:  Chapter 25 is done.  I've mailed it in for posting.  32,543 words.  Insane.  Read it slowly, because I might need some recovery time.  I'll write a new post when it's online.



That first fucking month back in New York.


I’d been friends with Rick since elementary school.  The biggest thing that weighed in favor of going to Penn was that Rick would be there, too.  We played on the same teams, took the same classes, spent summers together, pre-partied before prom and then threw up in the gravel shoulders between the after-parties.


Our apartment was a tiny two-bedroom sublet on East Sixth Street and First Avenue.  He’d found it through his older brother.  I’ll spare the boring details, but both of us persuaded our parents that they should underwrite our summer living in the city, because of course, if we were going to go there after college, we’d have to know what it was like to actually live in the city and not commute from their houses in Westchester.  It wasn’t a difficult negotiation.


And I was so fucking psyched to get back.  Sanjay was less than a mile away in the East 20s, in a sublet with two of his Harvard friends.  


They all wore black wool pants, unless it was $200 designer jeans.  They wore shirts that buttoned down.  They went to bad, overcrowded bars, where DJs played remixes of Top 40 songs.  They ordered vodka tonics that cost $14; my bottles of beer cost $10.  They hit on skinny girls who wore tiny dresses, and half the nights ended up fucking one of them.  They talked about their summer internships in finance (spots that they got through their fathers) with the pretense that they had actual responsibility and knew what they were saying.


I would look for any excuse to step outside for a cigarette.  I deflected the come-ons of girls with hot bodies, whose faces hadn’t caught up.  I rolled my eyes when entire bars whooped enthusiasm at a shittily danceable pop song.  


“I think I’m more of a T-shirt bar kind of guy,” I said to Rick, who seemed mystified and concerned by my lack of enthusiasm.


“I’m a T-shirt bar kind of guy, too,” Rick said, “but I’m going to where the people are at.”


“What people?” I said.


“Nothing interesting’s going to happen at a T-shirt bar in Alphabet City,” he said.


A couple of weeks later, Rick and I were going home in a cab at about 3 a.m.


“Dude, you need to loosen up, because you’re kind of being a bitch,” he said.


“Wait, at noon, we were just going to hang out on Second and watch the playoffs.  By the time I got home, you decided we’d go to some club called, like, Argon.”


“Argon?  What the fuck is Argon?  Like, the element?  It wasn’t called Argon.”


“Whatever it was, it sucked, and I just wanted to have a chill night hanging, and I got dragged into this bullshit again, so fuck this being a bitch shit.”  The cab was speeding down Broadway.  The image of one of Rick’s frat brothers, some douchebag named Brandon, flashed to mind.  “I wake up every day thanking Allah that I didn’t go to Penn.”


“Penn doesn’t miss you.  Trust me.”


It wasn’t a major blow-up -- the kind of sharp exchange that you have with friends.  Neither of us was actually pissed.  A couple of minutes later we were brushing our teeth and talking about South Park.


But I mostly stopped going out with them.  On nights when I did -- when my boredom drove me to follow, when I resolved to have a better attitude and try to fall in with the crowd -- I was an obvious handicap.  One night, “The Thong Song” came on at about 2:30 a.m., driving the crowd wild with a song that was big around our junior year in high school.  Boobs and asses bounced to a white-girl rhythm.  Rick performed a white-guy sex-dance against a girl who looked like Rutgers.  I went outside to have a cigarette, then walked two miles home.  I texted them a half-hour later.


* * *


I stalked gay bars that I never had the balls to enter.


There was the place on 6th & A, and the one on 13th & A, and the place on 4th & 2nd, and its seedy, dark uncles to the south.


I didn’t walk in, but I passed them on my way.  I went out of my way to pass them, walking by with a cigarette in my mouth, glancing up at their doors and then darting my gaze elsewhere.  One night at two in the morning, I drunkenly walked laps between A & B, wondering what it would be like to step inside.


The crowd didn’t seem right.  Their shirts looked too tight.  They clustered outside, smoking cigarettes.  Their chatter sounded quick, energetic.  The music was garish.  I discerned spinning lights.  


I couldn’t penetrate it.  Still, I wanted to go inside.  


I recalled Andy’s compulsion when he was in Italy, how he dreaded and anticipated stepping into a gay bar.  I internalized his fantasy of what he’d find.


So I lurked some nights, for lost minutes between 2 a.m. and last call, walking alone past those East Village doors, compelled but repelled and afraid.


I never ventured in.


I was not Andy Trafford.

34 comments:

  1. I was here for my ritualistic daily refresh and I saw this.
    The way you dole out these updates makes me feel like an opiate addict.

    So thank you, JPM, thank you for sustaining what seems to be the most unhealthy obsession.

    Here is to Snowden releasing cables that incidentally cover your location, so I can send you a passive aggressive Edible Arrangements to guilt you into writing faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JPM, great preview! Haha, I live 20 minutes from Rutgers and half the people from my high school go there. I was wondering what you think "a girl who looked like Rutgers" looks like. I'm sure hilariously accurate.

    Tony C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also considered "a girl who looked like" NYU, or Hofstra.

      Delete
  3. Were JPM to write faster, we would all check for updates so much more frequently. Think of it as the functional equivalent of increasing one's daily fix to obtain the same high. Personally, I prefer not to fall over the edge into a 12-step program concerning the frequency of checking for Joe College updates. As an act of charity, I would be forced to call in a drone strike to destroy the Edible Arrangements delivery truck.

    Damn I'm looking forward to Chapter 25 and beyond! Thanks for the preview, and the previous updates following Chapter 24 concerning the story arc!

    JSH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, Snowden, drones, snacks and opium and what? Is Glenn Greenwald sending traffic here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the Anonymous 8:46 above who daily checks for updates, JRM has thoughtfully provided an RSS feed (not that I'm _that_ much of a cyber-stalker; OK, yes I am).

    AB

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had a nickel for every time I've walked past an East Village gay bar and didn't go inside, I'd have enough money to shop at Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, when guys in New York write or comment, I often wonder how often we've ignored each other on Grindr.

      Delete
  7. One would never dream of asking such a rude question, but are we close-ish to Chapter 25? Might we soon(ish) be able to admire its enormity and devour it like Chris would a pear and hot pocket?

    That last bit was obvious (and likely ineffective) pandering, but hey, one does try...

    ReplyDelete
  8. JPM770, I just realized that is has been a while since I commented on how much I like your writing. 'What's Up, Dude?' and 'Joe College' are some of my favorite writings. Writings being books, blogs, newspaper, short stories, internet archives, and inspirational posters. Thank you for putting them out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. JPM, sorry to ask you more questions that distract from you writing this massive chapter, which i'm bursting to read, but how much would you say you write in an average month (words + hours)? Or does it vary too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, it varies so much. This next chapter is coming together fairly quickly; it's going to be the longest chapter by far, almost a book within a book, so it's currently 18,000 words but probably going to finish close to 30,000. Then I'm going to edit it down as much as makes sense. But I feel like it's working so far and there are reasons why I want this single installment to be so long.

      Pace varies hugely based on what's happening at work and in my social life, but also what I'm trying to write. It takes about 2-3 hours of focus to hammer out the good stuff. The quieter, more internal, tension-building kind of chapters are the slowest and most challenging because I can't blurt out what's happening; half the time these guys don't really understand what they're thinking and feeling. So there's a lot of trial and error and I end up throwing stuff out if it starts to sound like Dawson's Creek / Gossip Girl bullshit. The more action I have (dialogue, parties, sex scenes) the easier it flows.

      Delete
  10. Does Joe's fear of getting discovered with Chris mirror your own fear of friends discovering this story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deadpan tone of this question and the fact that it's being asked has me living in terror that you, Anon, are one specific friend. GAHHHHH!

      Delete
  11. Sorry, I didn't mean to screw with you like that - it's the same guy who asked you the question on the 31st - Leo. I'll send you an e-mail if that'll reassure you. Anyway: I guess the answer is, clearly you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, my response was 100% joking. Sorry, I didn't mean to screw with *you* like that.

      Delete
    2. Too deadpan for me. So what's your real answer?

      Delete
    3. Non-issue. Three friends know. One badly wants to read it and seems intrigued and mystified by the project, but I'm waiting until I finish the story and give it a rewrite because he's so exacting and critical. Another seems to think that it's another example of me being crazy and the third falls somewhere in between. The rest, I am 100% confident that they will never know unless I declare it on Facebook or something.

      Delete
  12. So I'm guessing people have asked you this before, but when the whole thing is finished, are you considering getting it published (or simply publishing it yourself)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will definitely want to do a re-write that trims and edits some things. And then I'll want to put it out there somewhere. But I haven't given much thought to the platform.

      Delete
  13. you spoil us, JPM

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you get to it before GTA IV is released dude ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me too well. Between the new GTA and football season, I need to get this chapter done.

      Delete
  15. It's after Labor Day, and I'm reminiscing about chapter three and all its beautiful descriptions of the semester beginning and excitement and new possibilities. What year is it in Joe's world by now? 2004 or '05? If so, I could be a random drunk dude wandering around Midwest U's off-campus at this point. Perhaps partaking in some illicit activities on the porch of the house...

    Can't wait for the next chapter, and the whole crew of friends to show up.

    For your readers who enjoy that sort of thing -- are we going to get another "special guest appearance" by boobs?

    - anonymous crazy man

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fuuuck. So. Excited.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Damn you, JPM. It's 3am and I'm half way through this chapter despite your warnings to slow down. Who can do that? Seriously? I can't even explain how real this part is feeling. Standing in front of Boiler Room and Eastern Bloc, contemplating entry. Begrudgingly joining finance friends to table service clubs and waiting the entire night to pick up a slice of pizza or get an omelet at the local diner. And woah... the realization that your high school friendships are more an artifice of shared history than meaningful bonds, and moving past viewing "You've changed" as an insult, and instead embracing it as progress. God you've packed a lot in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's in just the first 15% of this chapter!

      Delete
  18. Hey JPM
    Sorry to gush, but I've wanted to tell you for years how much I admire your writing. Like your other fans on here I wait eagerly for each instalment, and devour it as soon as I see it posted, usually in a single sitting. I managed to slow down on JC-25 but it was a close run thing. I'd love to know how you create such crushingly beautiful, imaginative and work. You have an astounding gift for describing scenes and emotions. Thanks for all the hard work.

    Gusher from Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Will we ever hear Chris's side to the summer at the lake?

    -Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get some kind of information about it for sure, but I don't expect that there will be another chapter where Chris narrates.

      Delete